For almost 40 years we lived and worked in Bracken Ridge, and were heavily involved in the local community. But even before we chose Bracken Ridge for our home, we had links to or lived in
Both of us share memories now 60 years old, of the different aspects relating to our involvement with Bald Hills. During our school life and work life, we both knew members of the Carseldine family.
So how pleasant to be able to catch up with one of John's work colleagues, and how very interesting to learn of some other "links" back to Bald Hills.
The Carseldine's owned a shop in Gympie Road, Bald Hills. The shop has on two occasions been damaged by fire, but the facade remains!
We then realised that both parents had owned the same shop!
But another link was that both parents had been in World War II, and both were members of the Bald Hills Branch of the RSL. What a small world!
Bald Hills has been a huge part of our life, not only from our parents, but also with that of our children, and our grandchildren.
A Memorial Arch was erected over the entry gates.
A staffer working at Bold Coffee along the road from the Memorial Hall when he saw fire streaming out the building's rear window.
"There was heaps of fire coming out the back window, it looked like the hall was full of fire, you could see the smoke down the road," he said.
"Smoke was coming out the back and front door."
The hall was built in 1920 to commemorate the soldiers from the Bald Hills district who served in World War I.
The arch gate, which reads 'Lest We Forget' was dedicated to those who served in World War II.
The community hall was empty at the time of the blaze, with a fire investigation underway.
The Brisbane Times
Thanks to the sources of the Chermside and Districts Historical Society, this photo is of the Honour Board that was hanging in the Memorial Hall. The Honour Board has been salvaged from the fire, and is able to be restored.
Today as we hurry around our localities, whether it be Bald Hills, Bracken Ridge, Sandgate or where ever we may now live, and while we may all have different memories of the past, often the best stories are told by those who were there!
Cast your minds back to 1859, and walk in the footsteps of this "Traveller" as he describes the locality and how it was in the days when Queensland began.
View of a landscape painting created by Leonard Shillam. The artist's medium was watercolour
Scene is looking over a part of Bald Hills, a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland.
As a result of Japan's entry into World War II, and anxiety for Australia's security, it was felt that a new transmitting aerial needed to be constructed to replace the city aerials which were on the roof of strategic city buildings. The new site chosen was the Bald Hills transmitter site, one mile to the north of the Bald Hills Village. It was designed by Alf Howard and Vernon Kenna, the divisional engineer, PMG's broadcast construction department. (Description supplied with photograph)
Summary: The site chosen for the Bald Hills transmitter, one mile to the north of the Bald Hills Village. The vertical radiator designed by Alf Howard and Vernon Kenna, the divisional engineer, PMG's broadcast construction department. (Description supplied with photograph.) This photograph is of the coupling building adjacent to the pipe mast of the radio transmitter. It was hit by the falling mast when it was decided to dismantle the mast in 1986.
This old house was a well known feature of the landscape until it was demolished!
There are two main theories as to the naming of Bald Hills. The first is that it was named on account of the D'aguilar Range which can be seen from the suburb.
The first railway in the area was completed in 1888 and at this time new subdivisions were offered for sale between Telegraph Road and the railway, and to the south of the current St Paul's School
Cultivation of the excellent farming land in the area did not start until the 1880s.
Arrowroot and cotton were grown by John Stewart. Sugar cane was also a major crop and a mill was built by the Lang family. A major housing boom occurred after World War II with the subdivision of the Richmond Heights Estate in 1959 and Eaton's property to the east of the highway in 1968. In 1974 the estates of the Carseldine, Feuerriegel and Williamson families were subdivided into the Canterbury Estate.
Historical Photos from John Oxley Library