While it gets a bit confusing with all the different names, for the most part, each of the above purchasers with the exception of Charles Duncan, David Duncan, William Carseldine and John Stewart, appear to be land speculators
In the 1850's he would have been referred to as a "Capitalist" later those terms changed to "speculator" He had land in both North Brisbane and in South Brisbane.
William John Loudon Lot 84 89.6 acres 11th May 1854
William John Loudon Lot 86 89.6 acres 11th May 1854
He had a business relationship with another large land owner, Robert Cribb
To follow his life the following newspaper articles provide some background, as he does not seem to have an online biography
1862 – the Sandgate Hotel, built by William Loudin in 1862. He also owned the Freemasons Hotel in Fortitude Valley
He owned the land in South Brisbane on which the National Australia Bank stands.
The building was originally constructed as the South Brisbane branch of the Queensland National Bank. Constructed by local builders, A Stonadge and Son, to a design by Addison and McDonald, the new premises at 39 Melbourne Street was opened for business on 31 July 1929.
The land on which the building was to be constructed was one of thirty allotments sold in the Brisbane land boom of 1854. The Deed of Grant for the land was acquired on 11 May 1854 by William John Loudon.
As it was situated within the town limits drawn up in 1846, the allotment was affected by each of the major urban developments on the South Brisbane peninsula such as the development of the public transport systems, the declaration of the first-class urban areas and the widening of the major arterial roads (Melbourne and Grey Streets).
It was also one of the many areas inundated by the floods of the 1890s. Subdivision of the original blocks was underway by 1870 and allotment 1 section 15, of which this site is a part, was acquired by Patrick Maunsell on 3 March 1871.
It was sold by Maunsell's widow in 1897 and passed through several hands until the site was acquired by Janet Mearns Pike and Richard Pike in 1912
William John Loudon we learn was a publican, but he was also a land speculator and in partnership with Robert Cribb, and had a relationship with R.Davidson, and Daniel Rowntree Somerset. All men were speculators, and had land holdings in the area.
The following report from the Queensland Supreme Court, clearly identifies his activities, along with Mr Cribb in relation to early land transactions and their relationship when dealing with land sales and high interest rates!!!
By 1854, only five years after the arrival of the immigrants of the Fortitude, the (Fortitude) Valley was a thriving village exhibiting the most visible changes in Brisbane: there was a 'good brick inn' (Loudon's Freemasons Hotel) in the main street and a constable to keep order; North Brisbane and Fortitude Valley were almost joined with perhaps a kilometre of vacant land between the buildings of the two communities; the land through to Breakfast Creek was opening up; and Fortitude Valley became part of the suburban spread with the subdivision and sale of the early large allotments.
Given that the hotel building was described on its sale to Loudon as unfinished, it is believed he must have undertaken some building works at this time, possibly adding a second storey to the corner section. During 1854 regular horse and cattle sales were held at the hotel which was apparently considered convenient for its abundant stabling, yards, and excellent paddocks close at hand for the reception of stock previous to day of sale without any extra charge. Loudon remained as licensee of the Freemasons Hotel (renamed the Lamb Inn in 1857) until 1859 although in 1858 the premises (including the hotel and 3 cottages) were sold to Jeremiah Daly.
THE ROYAL GEORGE HOTEL fronting Ann and Brunswick Streets Fortitude Valley. Comprising 18 rooms, out houses, good stabling, spacious yard, and capital cellar. The above is a corner allotment fronting Ann Street being the main road to Breakfast Creek, Eagle Farm, German Station, Bald Hills, Sandgate, and Pine River with a frontage to Brunswick Street leading to Bowen Bridge, Kedron Brook & c. The House is an old established one, and doing a good business, and the proprietor's reason for relinquishing business is on account of ill health in his family ...
A new licensee was not apparently found until the following year when the license was transferred to Henry Penfold and in 1866 to Michael Daly and in the same year back to Dickens (until 1868). In 1868 the property was conveyed to Dickens' mortgagee, the Anglican Bishop of Brisbane. A Sam Loudon (also written as London) is listed as licensee from 1869-70 when Henry Farley assumes the license until 1872.
|Death Date:||04 Jun 1867|
|Father's name:||William Loudon|
|Mother's name:||Janet Gordon|
And who was the executor of William John Loudon? none other than Mr D.R. Somerset.
So now the relationship between William Loudon, Daniel Rowntree Somerset and Robert Cribb is confirmed!