Wednesday, March 30, 2016

BH 2.9 Early land maps of the Area, Bald Hills and Bracken Ridge.

When describing the lands as lot numbers reference will be made to the map of the area, contained within the red boundary.    This map was used when the Council amalgamated in 1924

This is the map prepared in 1919 and is in the State Archives

160 years ago the land looked totally different to how we perceive it to be today.

(Thanks to Rob Carseldine for the 1919 copy from his private collections(


The  description from wikipedia regarding Aspley helps define the extent of the creek and the Bald Hills boundary.

"In 1857 the first land sales in the area east of the Old Northern Road and South Pine River begin under the control of New South Wales. Initially, the land was sold for farming and comprised the land around Cabbage Tree Creek, bordered by what is now Zillmere Road, Roghan Road, Bridgeman Road and the northerly continuation of Kirby Road, covering mostly what is now Aspley, Carseldine and Fitzgibbon.

The land parcels east of what is now Hawbridge Street and Lacey Road were purchased by *William John Ward.

The western land parcels were not sold. These land parcels were bordered by what is now Graham Road, Roghan Road, Hawbridge Street/Lacey Road and Bridgeman Road, and were subsequently subdivided into smaller land parcels and sold. This area is now known as Carseldine.

After the separation of Queensland from New South Wales in 1859, subsequent subdivisions were much smaller. In the following 5 years, land parcels south of Zillmere Road/Graham Road in what is now recognised as Aspley began.

In 1865, subdivisions west of what is now Maundrell Terrace were sold at the Brisbane Land Sales. In 1866, subdivisions between what is now Gympie Road, Maundrell Terrace and Webster Road were auctioned. The subdivisions were named "Soldier's Flat". Initially, the area was known as "Little Cabbage Tree Creek District".

The immigrants were primarily of English and German ancestry.

During the 1860s James and John Castledean, who owned land and a general store in the Bald Hills District, pushed a direct track from Bald Hills through to what is now the intersection of Gympie Road and Albany Creek Road".


In the map below from Queensland State Archives dated 1919, some of the roads are named 
this then helps with apportioning the owners to the Grids.

Grid 1   

Beams Road to Roghan Road bounded by Ridley Road to the west and with the Gympie Road to the east.   The owners included

F. Flux R. Richards, T King, W J. Loudon, M Kyle, A Ferguson, D, Mc Pherson, J Carseldine, A Mc Neven, I. Mansell

Grid 2

Gympie Road running east along Roghan Road to Telegraph Road to the Manure reserve, this land is all now in the suburb of Fitzgibbon

S Simpson, C. Tegge, J. Beir, J. Leacy, E. Buckby, A Norris

Grid 3

From the Junction of the railway line at Lacey Road and Telegraph Road to Barbour Road 

A Lacy and S Simpson, D McCallum, then Norris Road (named in 1930) F. Brown, C Brown J Leacy, R. Cribb, D Buckley, A McCallum crossing Norris and down Barbur E Anson, R. Speedy all on the southern side of Barbour Road.

Lacey Road ended at the junction of Barbour Road

The lands on the North of Barbour to Bald Hills Road bounded by Norris Road include
left hand side,  WC Whitehill, A Norris J & W Barbour and J McCallum and T McNaught

Grid 4

The next road is Barbour Road, to Jude Street to Barrett Street at the Cemetery Reserve.

The owners were J. Grant on the west side and J Ferguson on the eastern side.

From J.A Grant's land to Bald Hills Road was G.A. Hope's land.

The following landowners Ferguson, McPherson, Norris, Barbour, Brown all had their lands in Bracken Ridge. 

1 comment:

  1. Great resource you are creating here. Really interesting to see how the suburb has formed, especially what a difference the Gympie Arterial and Gateway have made.