The Sandgate Historical Society have included information from this era in their publication, "From Solitude to Surburbia". The book is not digitised as yet.
One snippet of interest was a report of George Phillips and George Harrah looking to inspect a site for school in the area. The location was halfway between the Bald Hills and Sandgate schools. Reading the directions, "follow the Telegraph Road from Sandgate Race Course to Bald Hills to the Manure Depot, first house on left and past 2 houses on the right, and this adjoins the second, (Mr Blunden).
That description put the land on Telegraph Road, the land was between Blunden and Bose farms, and from the Electoral Rolls Mr Bose lived at Ridley Road!
Quite a distance between the farms no doubt.
In 1917, the farm of Mr Blunden was being sold. Portion 93, which was originally owned by David and William Brown.
The land they were looking at must have been on the Enbrook Heights side, and the they were looking for £250 cash. George Phillips was the Government Surveyor!
When we moved into Bracken Ridge, the name generallywas spelt one word. Not two. Overtime that changed. Forty years ago when the Tavern opened, it was called Brackenridge.
If only the newspaper archives were current, it would no doubt proved that when we advertised properties way back then, in the Bayside Star, that the spelling was Brackenridge.
Almost each of them had a "name". All were located at Bracken Ridge, Sandgate.
There were pineapple farms, and egg farms, and pig farms. The farming economy certainly was not flourishing with buyers!
There became a need for Redcliffe to obtain a water supply, and it was decided to build a reservoir in Brackenridge, Sandgate.
In 1932, the Bald Hills Progress Association were concerned about the idea of Brisbane supplying town water to Redcliffe.
This shows the extent that both the Sandgate and Bald Hills community associations each "claimed" the Bracken Ridge to come under their own "umbrellas".
Once again, sons and fathers, husbands and wives, all volunteered to serve their country.
One death was reported in the newspaper of Private William Best.
The Waldocks owned a piggery
Two hundred and seven residents, probably most of them still on large blocks, complete with the "dunny" out the back, so just in case you haven't experienced this attraction, Thanks to
Pinterest, this one gives you an idea!
Oh, and there was no soft toilet paper, just cut-up pieces of newspapers!
There's a Redback on the Toilet Seat a song from 1973.