One of those was Elwin John Shaw
Elwin John Shaw
A rather well known resident of the area was Mr Elwin John Shaw. He lived at Slaughter Street Sandgate. But where was Slaughter Street? Certainly not in the position that it is now, in recognition of Charles Slaughter, but this Slaughter Street was near the Esplanade.
There is however a lot of interesting information about Mr Elwin J. Shaw.
Edwin was the son of James Shaw and his wife Eliza Harriet Hey. He was born in Scotland, and travelled to Australia on the "Famenoth" arriving in 1876. He married Paulina Ball, in 1878. Some time later he returned to Scotland.
He died in 1935, but for the years in between he devoted himself to Public duty in Brisbane. He became the Town Clerk of Brisbane,
Edwin John Shaw
04 May 1878
Edwin J Shaw
Port of Departure:
Port of Arrival:
4 Nov 1876
Edwin John Shaw
30 Oct 1935
Eliza Harriet Hey
In 1885 he had some personal items stolen, and in 1889 he is writing to the Sandgate Council regarding the state of Slaughter Street. Also writing is Mr Hutchinson, who is complaining about the state of Barrett Street.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933) Monday 24 November 1902 House to rent
From the Brisbane City Council:
Edwin Shaw was Town Clerk of the original Brisbane City Council prior to amalgamation in 1921- 1925. Prior to that he was Assistant Town Clerk.
UNDYING GRATITUDE.Canon Garland, a joint secretary of the Anzac Memorial Committee, said that the movement to erect a memorial really was founded by Mr. J.F. Maxwell, M.L.A. [ James Francis Maxwell, State Member for Toowong ], who, when Mayor of Brisbane, moved that £1,000 be granted to a fund.
Another name which should never be forgotten was that of the late Alderman H.J. Diddams, C.M.A. [ Harry John Charles Diddams ], who In association with Mr. Edwin J. Shaw [ Edwin John Shaw ], then Town Clerk, had taken the matter up with all his heart and soul.
The Anzac Memorial Committee had done much in furthering the object, and he hoped that the day’s ceremony would have the effect of bringing in further donations.
It was not a monument to the soldiers only, but to all men and women who had suffered through the war. It was a monument to the fathers, the mothers, sisters and wives who, by their sacrifice, had earned the undying gratitude of the people.
It was a monument also to such organisations as the Red Cross Society, which had helped and comforted those who were fighting at the front.
The monument was not in glorification of war – there were too many horrors to recall – but it was due to all who served in the war that there should be recognition of their bravery and sacrifice.
UNVEILING OF TABLET.Anzac Square which has been the scene of much industry in recent weeks became the scene of more solemnity on Saturday [ 24 May 1930 ] when the Governor (Sir John Goodwin) [ Sir Thomas Herbert John Chapman Goodwin ] unveiled the inscription tablet on the national war memorial monument which is rapidly taking definite form. It was the first public function in connection with the memorial square and was a preliminary to the unveiling of the memorial itself.
ST. JOHN’S CATHEDRALThirteen hundred or more persons crowded into St. John’s Cathedral in the morning for the celebration of the Holy Eucharist in commemoration of those who fell in the Great War.
Not only was every available seat in the sacred edifice occupied, but the aisles and doorways were thronged with worshippers.
Many people were unable to get into the building at all, so dense was the crush.
About 600 returned soldiers and sailors marched in procession from Albert Square to the cathedral, and they were allotted special seats in the centre of the building.
Many war nurses were also present.
Major-General Bruche [ Sir Julius Henry Bruche ] represented the Governor-General, and Brigadier-General L.C. Wilson [ Lachlan Chisholm Wilson ] the State Governor, whilst Lieutenant-Commander Mutton (District Naval officer) [ Edward Smith Mutton ], the Mayor (Ald. H.J. Diddams) [ Harry John Charles Diddams ], and the Town Clerk (Mr. E.J. Shaw) [ Edwin John Shaw ] were also present.
Archbishop Sharp conducted the service which was of a very impressive character.
Other clergy present were: Canon de Witt Batty [ Francis De Witt Batty ], Minor Canon Simmons [ Hugh Simmons ], Canon H. Gradwell [ Harry Gradwell ], Rev. A. Maxwell [ Alexander Maxwell ] and Rev. Harold Osborn, M.C. [ Arthur Harold Osborn ].
A special sermon was preached by the Rev. Cecil Edwards [ Cecil Howard Edwards ], a returned war chaplain.
They lived on a property known as "Fairmont", the address was Zillmere.