Thursday, April 7, 2016

BRS2 Scottish Families to Bracken Ridge McPherson




The McPhersons

The McPherson family have had a long association with the area.


Stonemasons, farmers, and bushrangers






The original immigrants from Scotland were John McPherson and his wife Elspeth Bruce.  The family arrived on the William Miles in 1855, with their children.  They were from Inverness, Scotland, and both sets of parents were deceased.  They arrived on the William Miles

His parents were John McPherson  and Margaret Kennedy.  John died in 1886,
Her parents,were Donald Bruce and Jane Ross.                  Elspeth died in 1882



In the records for "William Miles",  Jane McPherson is listed separately due to her age.


Their children married:

Donald Bruce McPherson  married in 1864  Isabella Smith                      d 1900  Cooktown
George Bruce McPherson  married Ann Warburton  1876                        d 1938  Bundaberg
James Aplin McPherson   married Elizabeth Ann Hoszfeldt in 1878         d 1895  Burketown
Russell James McPherson   married  Annie Graham Gilmour  1887          d 1933  Bald Hills
Margaret McPherson b 1845 m (1st) Augustus Marett Euste Angre in 1872
                                          m  John Charles Hamilton Stanley              d 1921
William McPherson                                                                          d   1888  Queensland                 
Rachel McPherson           married *George Mockeridge  in 1872               d 1915  Sandgate
Christiania McPherson married John Sutherland Storrie in 1864              d 1903
Jane McPherson  b 1839   married John Grant    in 1859    she died in 1916


*George Mockeridge obtained a slaughtering licence in 1879
                     
********************************************************************************
The relationships with the McPherson's with other Scottish families is  quite complicated.



Jane McPherson  b 1839   married John Grant    in 1859

Jane McPherson, daughter of John McPherson married John Grant, who was a stonemason on 24th February 1859.  Jane died in July 1916


Jane McPherson was one of 9 or 10 children who arrived in Australia with her parents John McPherson and Elspeth Bruce in 1855, from Scotland, aboard the "William Miles".  She was born in Duthil, Inverness, Scotland.  One of her siblings was James McPherson, born August 1841.


After their arrival, her father began work as a farmer, and her brother started work in a stoneyard, owned by Mr Petrie.  He later began work on the cattle station, known as Cressbrook.  The property owned by the McConnel family. 


Jane McPherson and John Grant had the following children:

Elspeth Grant                           1860
Alexander John Grant              1862              1862
Gregory Grant                          1863              1873
Ann Grant                                1866              1891     M Macintyre
John Alexander Grant              1868              1943
Christina Grant                        1871              1957
Felix Calvin Grant                   1873              1902
William Gregory Grant           1876               1951

Russell Walker Grant                                     1916


John Grant continued to prosper as a stonemason.  He built a beautiful home in Windsor but it would seem he sought a manager for the farm near Sandgate.





        http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/2011/11/craigellachie-windsor.html   
   
In the early days of Brisbane there was quite an influx of Scottish tradesmen, principally as a result of the influence of Dr JD Lang. SS Fortitude brought Scottish immigrants to Moreton Bay in 1849, and many more followed. Twenty year-old John Grant, a stone mason, arrived on board the William Miles in 1855.



Also on that voyage was the McPherson family, and Grant was destined to marry Jane McPherson, the oldest daughter. The McPhersons initially worked on the McConnel family's Cressbrook station in the Brisbane Valley, but later returned to buy their own property at Bald Hills.

After marrying at Ipswich in 1859, it appears that John and Jane Grant were diligent and therefore prospered. John and Jane had nine children, although one of their sons died at the age of two. In the late 1880s they bought land at Windsor, and around 1890 John constructed the family home there. He built it from Brisbane tuff, probably excavated just up the road from his house at the Windsor quarry. 


The house was called "Craigellachie" after the Scottish town in the middle of the whisky belt. Clan Grant has the battle cry "Stand fast Craigellachie", so the name of the house obviously had significance for Brisbane's Grant family.

(Photo: © 1982 National Trust of Queensland; Ray Sumner & Frank Bolt) 



********************************************************************************


When the estate of John Mc Pherson, farmer of Sandgate was probated, it was distributed to John Grant Stonemason and John McMaster Storekeeper both of Fortitude Valley.


Why would John Mc Pherson be leaving his estate to John Grant, and John McMaster? In those early days, daughters did not usually inherit, instead an estate passed to her husband.  And that is precisely what happened in this case.  

Was John McMaster family or financier?







The Week (Brisbane, Qld. : 1876 - 1934) Saturday 11 September 1886 p 14 Article
... , end James Powers, of Bundaberg, personalty, £500 ; John M'Pherson, farmer, of Sandgate, to John Grant ... and John M'Master. both of Fortitude Valley, personalty, £50 ;




However there were two John McMaster on the William Miles, the second one was born 1821, and was listed with Duncan McPherson as a single man on the shipping records.






*********************************************************************************



John Grant was the son of Gregory Grant and his wife Ann.  He died in 1899, and when his estate was probated, Russell McPherson was an executor along with John's son James Alexander Grant.







***********************************************************************************


trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1259726?searchTerm...l-publictag...
Creek-street, North Brisbane, the wife of Matthew Burton, of a son. ... Mr. Wilson, Donald Bruce McPherson, of Durandur, to Isabella Mathieson Smith,




******************************************************************************


Bald Hills McPhersons

This is the family of Duncan McPherson and his wife Mary Ann McCrimmon.


Duncan McPherson and his family  arrived in 1838 on the "St George".
Duncan was the son of Alexander Macpherson and Margery Macpherson (McMaster)

Duncan McPherson married Mary A McCrimmon in 1861 in Raymond Terrace New South Wales.



Mary Ann was born 1/2/1835 Isle of Skye, parents Kenneth McCrimmon 
and Catherine (Katrina) Margaret Grant. 
Kenneth and Catherine arrived on the Midlothian. in 1837



The family had settled in Maclean in New South Wales.

He had a sister Emily McPherson who died in 1878, married Ralph Reid in 1845

Isabella MacPherson b 25/3/1862          m  Young   d 1938
Catherine MacPherson b 14/2/1863       m Harry Jones Faulkner Hale
Margery MacPherson b 13/12/1864
Alexander MacPherson b 15/8/1866       d  1956
Kenneth MacPherson b 18/5/1869          d  1869
Kenneth MacPherson b 31/8/1870          d  1942
Duncan MacPherson b 14/2/1874           d 1936
Mary Isabella MacPherson b 18/5/1876




There was a wedding of Katherine Mc Pherson second daughter of Mr Duncan Mc Pherson of Bald Hills in 1889

Catherine was born in 1863 registered in 1883, father Duncan Macpherson, mother Mary Ann McCrimon.

Catherine married Henry Jones Faulkner Hale in 1889 in Queensland, she died in 1960. He died in 1961

  

The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939) Saturday 5 January 1889 p 1 Family Notices  ... daughter of Mr. Duncan McPherson, Bald Hills. X


However in 1870/1882 Donald Mc Pherson was growing maize, onions and being successful at different Agricultural shows.

The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939) Saturday 1 September 1877 p 25 Article
... Maepherson, Bald Hills. From crop grown among maize; a good yield. Ist prize.

The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933) Monday 30 January 1882 p 6 Article  ... 'Pherson, of the Bald Hills, exhibited a prime sample of onions, large, sound, and apparently well
There is also mention of potatoes


A Mr McPherson was also involved with the local politics of the area.

SOUTH PINE BRIDGE.

A meeting the Joint South Pine Bridge Board (Pine and Nundah) was held in the hoard's hall. Strathpine, on Monday, 13th instant. The members present were Messrs. Sumner (chairman), Leitch, Lane, Chilton, Williams, McPherson, and McKenzie. Six tenders were received for the
construction of the bridge, ranging from £2169 7s. 7d. to £2819 16s. lid. The former (that of G. Bowser), being the lowest, was accepted. For engineering the work seven tenders were received, none of which were accepted, the matter being left in the hands of the chairman and Mr. Leitch,





Duncan died  1898 in Queensland and Mary Ann Died 1921 at Bald Hills Qld.



A Margery McPherson born c 1834 died in 1894 in Victoria, the daugher of Archibald McMaster and his wife Margery!

John McMaster (2nd one?) died 1883, son of John McMaster and his wife Jane.

There lies a link with the McMaster Family.



John McMaster (26 June 1830 – 29 February 1924) was an alderman and mayor of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. He was a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland and a Member of the Legislative Council of Queensland.


John McMaster was born in 1830 in Argyllshire, Scotland, the son of John McMaster and Isabella White.

On 9 April 1854 he married Catherine McInnes, daughter of Neill McInnes and Mary Reid, at Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland.

John and Catherine McMaster immigrated to Queensland, Australia on the ship "William Miles" arriving January 1855 and became a freehold farmer at Melton Hill near Nundah
John and Catherine McMaster had the following children:
  • Isabella, born Queensland 1857
  • John Neill, born Brisbane 1860, died Brisbane 1917
  • Neill, born Brisbane 1862, died Brisbane 1895
  • James, born Brisbane 1864
  • Mary Jane, born Brisbane 1866, died Brisbane 1948
  • Catherine, born Brisbane 1869
  • Ellen, born Brisbane 1871
  • Colin John Wesley, born Brisbane 1874, died Brisbane 1950
His wife Catherine died in Brisbane on Friday 24 January 1879 and was buried on Saturday 25 January 1879 in the Nundah Cemetery.

Following an illness of several months, John McMaster died at the home of his granddaughter at Kent Street, New Farm, Brisbane on Friday 29 February 1924 aged 93 years. He was buried on Saturday 1 March 1924 in the Nundah Cemetery.

***********************************************************************************


There is yet another link between the McPherson's and Ferguson families.


Janet was the daughter of James Ferguson and his wife Mary Lindsay.  She died in 1915.

Janet had a sister Mary Ferguson who married in 1871 Donald McCallum, she died in 1877,

In 1866 Janet Ferguson married John Mc Pherson.

Her husband John McPherson was a very interesting pioneer.


Mr. and Mrs. H. S. WATKINS, of Park-street, Ipswich, desire to convey their sincere THANKS to all
those persons who rendered assistance during the illness of their mother and mother-in-law, the late
Mrs. Janet McPherson, and to those who also showed their sympathy in their bereavement.


PROBATE GRANTED.
The Registrar of The Suprême Court (Mr. T. G. Fraser) yesterday, on the application of Mr. T. P. Barrymore (form the office of Messrs. Rees B. and Sydney Jones), granted probate of the will of Janet McPherson, late of Rockhampton, wife of John McPherson,of tile same 'place, grazier, deceased, to John McPherson. The realty was sworn at under £2551 and the 'personalty at under £5740.





FROM CARRIER TO PASTORALIST.

Our well-known and respected towns man, Mr. John McPherson, has been a resident of Queensland since 1861. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Donald McPherson, came to Sydney from Scotland in 1837, and went in for pastoral pursuits near Goulburn, where Mr. McPherson was born. His parents after wards removed to New England, and after a residence of ten years, moved to Port Stephens, coming to Toowoomba in 1861.

 Mr. John McPherson first came to Rockhampton in 1862, being then droving 7000 sheep for Messrs. Hiltling and Peterson, who had taken up Havilah Station, near Bowen. Having delivered his sheep, Mr. McPherson was induced to form a station for the same firm at Heidelberg,  where he put up a hut and yards.

At this time Bowen was in its infancy, possessing only a hotel, store or two, and a few small houses. It was rapidly growing, however, and the inhabitants were satisfied the place would be the future capital of North Queensland. Townsville had only just been found, but some people already thought it would be a formidable rival to Bowen.

While Mr..McPherson was at Heidelberg he had his only adventure with the   blacks, and that was of a very mild description. When out one day looking for  some stray bullocks. he saw a blackfellow standing half hidden behind a blackened stump of a tree. Mr. McPherson, who was mounted and armed with a carbine, rode on, pretending to take no notice, but after going a few yards a whole mob of blacks sprang up from the long grass and reeds. He presented his carbine and fired over their heads when the blacks  disappeared off in one direction and Mr. McPherson galloped off in another.   

Mr. McPherson returned to Rockhampton in January, 1863, and remained a month or two, when he went on to his father's home at Toowoomba.   

Evidently his report of the capital of Central Queensland was satisfactory, for his father sold off his property there and came on to Rockhampton with the family. Soon after his arrival Mr. Donald McPherson was appointed Inspector of Stock for Rockhampton, a position he held for more than seventeen years, dying in 1882. 

On his return to Rockhampton, Mr. John McPherson at once started business as a carrier, which he found lucrative, even though the work was hard. His first loading was to West Wandangie, at £40 per ton, in 1863. Then he obtained the same price for loading to Gordon Downs for Mr. O. De Satge. In 1864 he loaded up for Mr. Myers, store keeper, Springsure, also at £40 per ton. Mr. Myers is dead, but his widow is believed to be still living at Springsure. In this year the ravages from pleura pneumonia were very great, and Mr. M'Pherson lost half of his bullocks through the disease. At that time a team of about ten bullocks was worth £150.

In those times money was plentiful and drinking very heavy. When at the   Brown River (now Rolleston) in 1864,   Mr. McPherson sold his bullock team  to two contractors for £150, and received £10 as a deposit. He was away for a few days before the sale was completed, but in ten days or a fortnight the men who had purchased  his team had drank their £150, also four horses, and would have been only too glad to have sent the bullock team in the same direction. Mr. McPherson gave them their tenner back, which quickly  went the way of the other money. This was a mere working man's spree, and the money, horses, and everything disappeared   in about ten days or a fortnight.

Mr. McPherson was at what is now  Blackall township before there was a house in the place. Blackall township was  resumed from Alice Downs run, and Mr. McPherson was going across to Northampton Downs to get bullocks when he passed the site of the township. Messrs. McNaughton, and Lomax were then erecting a hotel there, and from this sprang up a fairly large inland town. He was also in Tambo when there was only one hotel there, which was owned by Mr. Maurice Solomons, who is understood to be still a resident. This was in 1864. At that time grog of all kinds—it was principally rum, however—was £1 per bottle. The hotelkeepers of those times had much   to contend against, but for a few years   money flowed freely, and those who survived the hardships were enabled to amass 
fortunes.

In 1870 Mr. McPherson came to Rockhampton and entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, the late Mr. W. G. Jackson, as auctioneers and stock and station agents. Later on Mr. McPhcrson was in partnership with Mr. E. Wilson, and subsequently on his own account. Mr. McPherson was one of those who got an interest in Mount Morgan before the company was formed, and made a good deal of money by it. In 1888 Mr. McPherson decided to start as a grazier, and sold out his business in Rockhampton to Mr. W. H. Rogers. He purchased Rookwood Station, which he kept till a year or two ago back, when he sold out, and in partnership with Mr. W. K. Peberdy purchased Peak Vale Station, on the Peak   Downs, and Labona Station, on the Belyando.

Mr. McPherson has been identified, therefore, with different parts of the division, and is likely to remain so. During his residence in Rockhampton Mr. McPherson took a keen interest in all  
social and political matters likely to be for the benefit of the district. He has been a justice of the peace for a long period, was an alderman of Rockhampton for a number of years, and has occupied a seat on the committees of various institutions. He has  always been a warm supporter of honest racing, and was a member of the Committee of the Rockhampton Jockey Club in its palmy days. He was subsequently president of Rockhampton Tattersall's Club, and retained the position until the club disbanded.

Mr. McPherson, like other pioneers, has a large family of grown-up sons and daughters. His sister, Miss McPherson, married Mr. W. G. Jackson, whom she   survives, and likewise has a large family, one of whom is Mr. D. W. Jackson. a member of the firm of Messrs. W. G. Thompson and Co., merchants, whose business was founded by Mr. Jackson's father.  


These wonderful old stories give such a good description of the Pioneers who shaped this land.

Our own family also drove sheep, 12,000 at a time. All the way from Roma to Broadmeadows, then turned around and drove them all back again.  It was what they did for survival in drought times.


******************************************************************************

One of John McPherson's Sons       Bushranger!

James Alpin McPherson

Not all the Scots turned out to be upstanding citizens of the new colony. Jane Grant's brother, James Alpin McPherson, spent his initial years here at school, then as an apprentice in the well-known Petrie family's construction business. In 1864 he left his apprenticeship and turned to life as a bushranger. Known colloquially as "The Wild Scotchman", James McPherson robbed mail coaches, hotels and cattle stations throughout Queensland until he was captured and imprisoned in 1866.

 (Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #109649)

James McPherson was released from the prison on St Helena Island in 1874. He married in 1878 and by 1890 he and his own family were living in Burketown, Far North Queensland, so it is doubtful that he ever visited the home of his sister and John Grant. James McPherson was killed in Burketown as a result of a riding accident in 1895. It is claimed that some of  McPherson's exploits were woven into the novel "Robbery Under Arms".

Craigellachie remained in the Grant family until 1974. At some stage it was converted into flats, but a renovation in the mid-seventies saw it restored to a family home again. This is the way it looks now.
 (Photo: © 2011 the foto fanatic)

 John Mc Pherson's son became quite famous, as a bushranger.  His biography outlines his life.



16 Sep 1921 - BUSHRANGERS ACTIVE. "Wild Scotchman ...    nla.gov.au/nla.news-article100357888



The eldest of eight children, McPherson was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, in 1842, to John, a farmer, and Elspeth, his wife.

 When McPherson was twelve, his family migrated to Australia aboard the William Miles. After arriving at Moreton Bay on 19 January 1855, John McPherson found work as a farm labourer, while James began school at Ipswich, where he displayed a skill for languages, becoming fluent in French and German.

After finishing his schooling, McPherson first started work at a stoneyard on the corner of Wharf and Queen streets in Ipswich, owned by a Mr. Petrie, before finding work on a cattle station.
 On the station he began 'tailing' cattle (keeping them near the head station at mustering time) and bought a revolver to practice shooting with in his spare time.




                                                             McPherson, James Alpin (1842–1895)   by Basil Shaw

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 5, (MUP), 1974
James Alpin McPherson (1842-1895), bushranger best known as the 'Wild Scotchman', was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, eldest of the eight children of John McPherson, farmer, and his wife Elspeth, née Bruce. The family migrated in the William Miles and arrived at Moreton Bay on 19 January 1855.

The father worked as a farm labourer for D. C. McConnel of Cressbrook. Alpin went to a Brisbane school where his diligence pleased the teachers; he learnt some French and German, and became a fluent and entertaining speaker. Apprenticed to the builder, John Petrie, he attended the Brisbane Mechanics' School at night and achieved prominence in its debating class.

In 1863 McPherson ran away and worked on various stations, becoming an excellent horseman and an accurate shot. His first recorded law-breaking activity was early in 1865 near Bowen, where at gunpoint he held up a publican who owed him back wages. The government offered a £50 reward for his apprehension. He went to New South Wales and is alleged to have stuck up several parties on the Northern Road. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, 23-24 February, he assumed the name of John Bruce, stole a horse from Wowingragong but failed to find his hero, Ben Hall.

The Scotchman lost his horse and ammunition and, in his only clash with the police, was shot in the arm by Sir Frederick Pottinger; in return he had only blank cartridges to fire. He took to the scrub and was reading quietly by the Lachlan River when the police surrounded him. He was taken to Forbes and remanded from week to week until he was sent to Sydney to be tried for shooting at Pottinger. The charge was dropped when that officer died in April.

McPherson was remanded for holding up the publican near Bowen, where he was committed to the October Assizes at Rockhampton. He escaped from the ship at Mackay, stole a horse and began to rob mail coaches on the roads between Maryborough, Gayndah and Gladstone, sometimes sending the stolen cheques to Governor Sir George Bowen. The government raised the price on McPherson's head to £250 and the police commissioner, David Thompson Seymour, lamented the appearance of bushranging in Queensland while the parliament debated the felons apprehension bill.

. On 31 March 1866 the Scotchman was waiting for the mailman near Gin Gin station when he was recognized by John Walsh who quickly organized an armed party of four. McPherson's horse was too fatigued to outpace his pursuers and when they fired he surrendered. He was taken to Maryborough and remanded to the criminal sittings in Brisbane for holding up the publican but was found not guilty, much to the disgust of officialdom. He was then taken to Maryborough to face charges of robbing the mails, found guilty and sentenced by Chief Justice Cockle to twenty-five years in the penal settlement on St Helena Island, Moreton Bay.

McPherson entered St Helena on 13 September 1866 and remained there until his sentence was remitted on 22 December 1874, following a petition presented by Brisbane citizens at the instigation of Rev. B. G. Wilson. While on St Helena he again aroused public imagination with a spectacular though unsuccessful escape attempt.

 On his release he worked on McConnel's property at Cressbrook as a stockman and later overseer of an outstation. The manager of another outstation was Sylvester Browne, brother of the novelist, T. A. Browne, author of Robbery Under Arms.

Legend has some of McPherson's exploits adapted for use in the novel by Browne who was familiar with the Scotchman's story through correspondence with his brother. In his last years he was known for his anecdotes and ready wit, regaling listeners with stories of the bushranging days. Aged 53 he died on 23 August 1895 at Burketown, North Queensland, survived by his wife Elizabeth Annie, née Hasfeldt, whom he had married in 1878 at Blackall, and by four sons and two daughters.



Robbery Under Arms was compulsory reading for many of us at school!


Scottish Migration and John Mc Pherson

The Scots arrived in "dribs and drabs" until 1853. Thenceforth direct immigration to Moreton Bay changed dramatically for the better following favourable British Government reaction to a well-supported local petition and the approach of George Leslie demanding that the north receive its fair share of the colonial labour force imported by the proceeds of the sale of Crown land. In addition, the labour shortage had been exacerbated by the loss of workers to the southern goldfields. Not unexpectedly, these emigrants were required to enter into government-arranged employment contracts to prevent an exodus to Victoria.

The peak of Scottish migration occurred in 1854-55 when the Ghengis Khan, John Davies, and William Miles disgorged more than 460 Scottish immigrants, some 260 of these arriving on the latter ship. One of these passengers, John McMaster, who was destined to become Mayor of Brisbane, claimed at the golden jubilee celebrations of the arrival of the William Miles that all his fellow passengers paid their own way.

Most of the Scottish immigrants (43%) hailed from the Highlands.

Of the 450 Highlanders, most came from Inverness, Ross, Perth and Sutherland. Only six migrated from the impoverished and famished Isle of Skye. As one would expect, most of the Lowlanders migrated from Lanark (115), Midlothian (87) and Fifeshire (97). Only 62 emanated from the North-East, the majority being Aberdonians (38).

It would appear that pre-separation Queensland did not receive many of the Scottish poor. Originally destined for Moreton Bay in December 1852, the Highlands and Islands Emigration Society's Marmion, bearing 220 destitute crofters from Mull, Morven and lona, was diverted to Portland, possibly because of the gold-induced shortage of labour in Victoria.

The occupations of the immigrants reflected the mix desired by the colonial interests -612 of the semi and unskilled labour class (420 labourers, 108 domestic servants) and 119 skilled artisans (23 blacksmiths, 38 carpenters/joiners and 22 masons). Most of the tradesmen were derived from Lanark and Midlothian (Glasgow and Edinburgh areas).

The only representatives of the unwanted white-collar class were four necessary teachers. The wives, a minority of whom were mothers, numbered 267. As one would expect, 93% were adherents of the major divisions of the Church of Scotland. Compared with the figures of southern Scottish migrants, the literacy rate of 92% was high, six men being graduates of Scotland's excellent universities and teachers training colleges. The illiterates numbered 44 whilst 40 could only read. Reflecting one of the major inadequacies and inequalities of the otherwise admirable Scottish parochial school system. 64% of illiterates were women, mainly Highlanders.

Apart from a handful, these people melted into the pastoral hinterland to form the labour force of the pastoral stations. It is anticipated that many made their marks on their local communities during the ensuing decades following the sub-division of the huge pastoral runs into agricultural holdings and closer settlement.

Until more data emerges on this anonymous thousand Scots, they must be represented by the good works of the Reverend Charles Stewart (religious radical), William Pettigrew (Brisbane sawmiller), John McMaster (Brisbane Mayor), Alexander Cameron (iron founder and engineer in Frog's Hollow), James Campbell (Brisbane plasterer and building supplier), Alexander McDonald (Ipswich builder and sawmiller), John McPherson (Bald Hills farmer) - and the infamy of the latter's bushranger son, the Wild Scotchman.




From the 1997 Records of                 1997 - Genealogical Society of Queensland






*******************************************************************************


Durandur has featured in other stories of the settlers.  Where was Durandur?

The Archer brothers were among the earliest settlers in Queensland. They were explorers and pastoralists. Seven sons of William Archer, a Scottish timber merchant, they spent varying amounts of time in the colony of New South Wales, mainly in parts of what later became Queensland.  The first of the Archer brothers to settle in Australia was David, who arrived in Sydney in 1834.

 He was joined by William and Thomas in 1838. Together, they planned to seek pastoral land on the Darling Downs. Delays meant they would be too late to secure good land, so this venture did not proceed. In 1841 David and Thomas, joined by their brother John, travelled to the upper reaches of the Stanley River, an eastern tributary of the Brisbane River. There, near present-day Woodford, they established Durundur Station, a holding of 200 square miles (520 km2), which is equal to 128,000 acres (51,800 ha).

Once again, the Scottish settlers were the settlers of yet another well known location.   (Photo of Charles Archer)















No comments:

Post a Comment